SPRING CLUB PROGRAMOur Spring Club Program is for girls, in 3rd – 12th grade. We practice twice a week and participate in a number of local tournaments. This program runs from late January through Memorial Day.
SUMMER FLYSummer Fly Clinics are for girls and boys, 2nd-12th grades. The training consists of 10 sessions, mid-June through mid-July. Summer Fly is for players of all abilities – from true beginners to advanced high school players – field players and goalkeepers. You do NOT need to be a member of Fly FHC to attend.
FALL YOUTH PROGRAMThe Fly Fall Youth Program is for girls in grades 4-8. No field hockey experience necessary! We practice once a week on Wednesday evenings, and play in the NorCal Youth League games on Saturday mornings.
SMALL GROUP TRAININGSmall Group Training (offered in winter and summer) consists of 12-hours of training which focus on ball handling and advanced skills, and target a player-to-coach ratio of 8-1 or less. They are open to any Fly club player seeking intense training.
2019 SPRING CLUB
The Fly Spring Club Program runs from mid-January through Memorial Day. We offer training for girls 4th through 12th grade. We practice twice a week and participate in a number of local tournaments.
Players of all skill levels are welcome!
WE DO NOT HOLD TRYOUTS for our spring club teams. We are committed to offering a suitable hockey training program for all 4th-12th grade girls who want to play – all skill levels – from true beginners to varsity-level, experienced players.
Spring Club Program Details
We divide players into U19 (11th & 12th graders), U16 (9th & 10th graders), U14 (7th & 8th graders) and U12 teams (4th, 5th & 6th graders). Our U16 and U19 teams follow the normal Fly high school training plan that we have developed over the past decade. Our U14 and U12 teams work more on fundamentals of technique, and introducing new skills and game play.
Each age group’s teams have their own set of coaches dedicated to just that age group – both at practices and tournaments. Instead of having a “tryout” day, we will spend the first 3 weeks of practice sessions evaluating players. We will then divide each age group into a set of teams (12-15 players each) who will practice and play together throughout the season. Each team will have a coach assigned to their team for the rest of the season. This system is intended to improve familiarity with teammates and to provide better, more focused coaching for each and every player.
We use a team-based approach for the spring season. Teams are be skills-based in order to compete properly at the spring tournaments. Each team has their own coach for the season.
Skills & Game Training:
We focus our mid-week practices on skills training and use Sunday practices for more scrimmaging and game play drills. We also offer other scrimmage/game play opportunities outside of the traditional tournaments.
Players will be held accountable for attending practice to hold their status on tournament teams. Practice attendance is part of the decision-making when rostering our tournament teams.
Black Team Program:
Our High Performance Team program (aka our Black Team program) is designed for serious high school hockey players in the u16 and u19 age groups who already have a good base in fundamental hockey skills and are trying to advance to a higher level – either varsity play or to prep for college play. Requirements include continued fitness training by each athlete and attendance at a high percentage of all practices. These players will get an extra (3rd) practice each week.. We are hoping to carry 2 teams in each age group this year. We will have tryouts for selection to this program during the first several weeks of Spring club practice in January.
We have a dedicated goalkeeper coach who works with goalies in all of the age groups. Goalies will get specific skills training at least once a week, and will play with teams of their skill level in the local tournaments.
Spring Club fees include a reversible Fly practice jersey and a hockey ball for each player.
All players need to have their own field hockey shinguards (NOT soccer shinguards), a mouthguard and a hockey stick in order to participate in Spring Club.
– u12s & u14s, we have entry-level Fly custom sticks for purchase.
– Coach Anthony also sells Rage fh sticks at a nice discount
SHINGUARDS: Field hockey shinguards are required for both practices and tournament play. They are much larger and stronger than soccer shinguards. We require them for spring club play. You can purchase online or from Coach Anthony.
– Anthony will have shinguards available for purchase: approx $30 incl tax.
– These shinguards require long socks or shinguard sleeves (they do not have straps)
MOUTHGUARDS: All players will need a fh mouthguard. The mouthguard must be the moldable type, and not white or clear. (Must be a visible color.) We recommend the SISU brand. It’s a bit more expensive than some brands, but provides excellent protections, while allowing the player much easier breathing and talking. Available for purchase online.
HOCKEY BALLS: Extra practice hockey balls are also available for purchase.
How do I figure out what field hockey age group I am in??
US Field Hockey determines a players age group based on the players birth year – not school grade.
Per US Field Hockey: “An athlete’s age on December 31 of that given year determines what age group the athlete will be in for the following year. For example if the athlete is 15 on December 31 and turn 16 on January 1 they remain in the U16 (under 16) division.”
SPRING CLUBPRACTICE SCHEDULE
Spring Club starts Sunday, 1/13/19
- All players will practice twice a week, one mid-week practice and one practice on Sunday. Black teams will have an additional weekday practice.
- First half of the season, mid-week practices for all teams will be Tuesdays, 5:15-7:15pm at Twin Creeks Sports Complex. In late March, U19s adn Black teams will shift to Tuesday night practices at Los Altos HS.
- On Sundays, all practices will be between 8:00am-12:00pm at Los Altos HS. Each age group will practice for approximately 2 hours. Age groups share the field and time slots will overlap. Teams will warm up during overlap periods.
- We do NOT normally practice on tournament weekends.
Practice Times (per age group):
U12s & U14s
Head Coach: Justina Williams
Tuesdays: 5:15pm – 6:55pm @ Twin Creeks Sports Complex, Field #7
Jan 24 – March 7 – 4:15pm – 5:55pm @ Foothill College, Futsal field
March 14 – May 22 @ Los Altos HS, turf/football field
Sundays: 9:45am – 11:30am @ Los Altos HS turf field
We may switch Sunday practices in late March to Archbishop Mitty. Details TBD.
Head Coach: Jote Atwal
January 13 – March 19: 5:15pm – 7:15pm @ Twin Creeks Sports Complex, Field #8
March 26 – May 14: 6:00pm – 8:00pm @ Los Altos HS turf field
Sundays: 10:00am – 12:00pm @ Los Altos HS turf field
Head Coaches: Anthony Gourley & Mary Donahue
Tuesdays: 5:15pm – 7:15pm @ Twin Creeks Sports Complex, Field #7
Sundays: 7:45am – 10:00am @ Los Altos HS turf field
Head Coaches: Elise Ogle (u19s) & Christine Couteau (u16s)
Sundays: 10am – noon at Los Altos HS turf field
January 13 – March 19: 5:15pm – 7:15pm @ Twin Creeks Field Sports Complex, Field #8
March 26 – May 22: 6:00pm-8:00pm @ Los Altos HS turf field
January 24 – March 7 – 6:30-7:45pm at Mise Park – This will be a fitness session ONLY – no hockey. All players wear running shoes.
dMarch 14 – May 22: 6:00pm-8:00pm @ Los Altos HS turf field
Archbishop Mitty HS | MAP
Outdoor artificial turf – in football stadium
5000 Mitty Ave, San Jose, CA 95129
Parking- There is parking in the big lot at the font of the school, right next to the football stadium (on the Lawrence Expressway side of the school).
Los Altos HS | MAP
Outdoor artificial turf field (in the football stadium)
201 Almond Ave, Los Altos, CA 94022
Parking – There is plenty of parking in the large student parking lot in the front of the school.
Foothill college – Futsal Field | MAP
Small outdoor artificial turf field (at the end of/next to the turf soccer field next to Parking Lot 4, located at the back of the campus)
12345 El Monte Rd, Los Altos Hills, CA 94022
Parking – There is plenty of parking in the large lot #4 right next to the soccer field.
2019 Summer Fly: June 10 – July 3
8 sessions, Monday & Wednesday evenings
REGISTRATION FOR 2019 SUMMER FLY IS CLOSED.
The Fly Summer Fly Clinic training sessions run for 4 weeks, 2 days per week for a total of 8 sessions. The curriculum and player groups are designed to accommodate a variety of skill levels – whether a player is trying the sport for the first time, or honing their skills for high school or college play.
The clinics are open to any and all hockey players ages 7 to 19 – boys or girls.
Participants do NOT have to be members of Fly FHC.
Training will be led by our veteran coaching staff, which includes USA FH Futures and Level 2 coaches.
We have a goalie coach at all sessions so these players get GK-specific training.
We divide players into 2 groups: Level 1 = new/younger players and Level 2 = varsity level players. This allows us to more effectively train players who are at different skill levels and have more space for all players.
- Within each group, we will divide players into training groups both by age AND skill level.
- Level 1 players are: beginners (any age), elementary and middle school players, high school freshman and JV team players
- Level 2 players are: High school varsity-level players only
- In the registration form, you will sign up for the appropriate session/level.
We follow a comprehensive curriculum arc which includes:
- Individual ball skills – through significant reps each session on the ball
- Progression through fundamental field hockey areas from week to week:
- week 1: Individual stroke skills: pushes, slaps, hits, sweeps, shooting skills
- week 2: Defensive skills (and individual attacking skills)
- week 3: Passing on the move
- week 4: Circle play – both attacking and defensive
- week 5: Corner/Specialty skills & shooting
- Game play: will include working on free hit, team attack and team defense principals through scrimmaging
2019 Clinic Dates, Times & Price
Days and times: June 10 – July 3, Mondays & Wednesdays
Times: 6:00 – 8:00pm
Location: Los Altos HS
Price: The cost for the 8 sessions is $360 per player
The registration fee is due in full before or at first session. This fee includes 16 hours of training, plus a summer clinic t-shirt and stuff sack.
- We will have loaner sticks available for beginner players who do not have their own stick.
- Goalkeepers will have a dedicated GK coach
- Cleats or turf shoes are preferred footwear for turf fields.
- All players MUST have a mouth guard AND shin guards or they will not be allowed to play.
- Please bring plenty of water – 2 large water bottles minimum. Water is not available at all fields.
- Players should show up ready to play! We start on time!
Summer Coaching Staff
Our summer coaching staff will be led by Fly senior coaches Jote Atwal, Anthony Gourley, Mary Donahue and a mix of players from collegiate programs and Fly coaches. We try to keep the player-to-coach ratio to no more than 10-1.
FALL YOUTH PROGRAM
Fall Program Overview
The Fly Fall Youth Program is for players grades 3-8. No field hockey experience necessary!
The Fly Fall Youth Program runs from early September through the first week in November.
Our practice sessions will focus on stick skills, ball movement and small-sided scrimmages. We group players by age and skill level and coaching is tailored to the level of each group. Younger and beginner players are always welcome! We have curriculum tailored to their skill level.
The Fall Program consists of 2 parts:
1) a skills practice on Sunday mornings at Los Altos HS and
2) Saturday morning games in the NorCal Youth League (held in 2018 at Willow Glen HS).
The cost for the Fall season is $325 per player
The registration fee is due in full before or at first session. This fee includes practice and league costs, plus a Fly practice pinnie.
- Players must register online
- Fly waiver required: All players new to Fly are required to turn in a Fly Waiver & Liability form before you can play (practice or games) with Fly. Please download, SIGN and turn in your waiver – either send it in by mail or turn it in at the first practice session.
NOTE – Returning Fly players do NOT need to fill out a new waiver form.
- Player fees are due in full on or before the start of the first practice (cash, checks or via PayPal).
- USA FH Membership required for all players!
Due to insurance requirements, ALL players must be USA Field Hockey members. To join USA FH, or to make sure your membership is up-to-date, please go to the USA Field Hockey website and select one of the Membership pull-down options. Remember – When you update or sign up for membership, please select “San Jose Fly” as your club affiliation!
2019 Fall Practice Schedule:
Sunday, Sept 8th – Sunday, Nov 11th, 2019
8:30-10:30am @ Los Altos HS, turf field.
Sign up today for the Fall 2019 Fly Youth Program!
- We will have loaner sticks available for use
- All players MUST have a mouth guard AND field hockey shin guards or they will not be allowed to play.
- Running shoes, turf shoes or cleats are acceptable footwear.
- Please bring plenty of water to practices and League play.
- Note – Sessions are on RAIN or SHINE!
Los Altos HS | VIEW MAP
Outdoor artificial turf field
201 Almond Ave, Los Altos, CA 94022
FALL COACHING STAFF:
Head Coaches: Anthony Gourley & Jote Atwal
NorCal League Play (Saturdays):
We participate in Saturday morning games in The NorCal Youth League – held at the turf/football field at Willow Glen HS. The League consists of co-ed youth teams from different schools and clubs who get together on Saturday mornings and play small-sided games (7v7 and 5v5 15-20 min games) against each other. The games are be scored and there is a League Champion at the end of the season. Depending on number of teams, the schedule has included at least 2 short games every Saturday.
2019 NorCal League Play Details:
TIMES: Saturday mornings – 8:30-11:30am
HOCKEY GOBBLE TOURNAMENT: November 2019 (~8:30am — 3:00pm), Date = TBD
This is the final day of Fall Youth League play.
Location: Willow Glen High School
Field entrance is located on Cherry Ave between Dry Creek RD & Curtner Ave.
The school address is on the complete opposite side of campus from the field.
Divisions: U14 & U12.
We add game schedules here as we receive them from the league organizers.
- Please be at the field 30 minutes prior to your 1st game. Check in with Coach Anthony when you arrive at the field.
- Players should wear white t-shirts, black shorts and black shinguard sleeves/socks.
- Make sure to have your mouthguard, shinguards and a full water bottle.
- We will wear Fly pinnies for games. Coaches will have pinnies and a fh ball for distribution to each player at the field on on the first Saturday of League play.
League WaiverRequired to play!! Fill out and turn into Coach Anthony
Willow Glen High School
Outdoor artificial turf field – **New upper field – NOT football field**
2001 Cottle Ave San Jose, CA 95125 | MAP
(Bathroom on site, free parking)
SMALL GROUP TRAINING
We offer Small Group Training during the “off seasons” – December and June/July. Training consists of a 4 2-hour sessions. This program targets a player-to-coach ratio of no more than 8-1. It is open to any Fly club player (4th-12th grades) who is dedicated to working hard to ramp up their individual skills. These sessions are very intense and focus on honing fundamental technique, stick handling, and advanced skills. Players are divided into skill groups for better speed of play training.
You MUST have some field hockey experience to participate in this program. It is NOT for true beginners.
This summer we will be trying out a new approach. Each session will focus on a specific game skill.
The session plan (subject to change as we go):
– 6/14: Individual dribbling / ball handling skills
– 6/21: Sweeps, lifts, & aerials
– 6/28: Hitting & shooting
– 7/12: 1v1 play – both attack & defense, including circle play
Summer 2019 SGT Details:
DATES: Fridays: 6/14, 6/21, 6/28, & 7/12 (no session on July 5th)
LOCATION: @ Los Altos HS turf field.
COST: $180 per player
Ready to Sign Up?:
Reserve your spot and get payment details.
Los Altos HS
Outdoor artificial turf field
201 Almond Ave, Los Altos, CA 94022